Welcome to Prof. Daeok Daniel Youn's Homepage!!
Professor Daeok (Daniel) Youn
Vice dean of College of Education
an associate professor at the Department of Earth Science Education.
(Go to Korean site: 한글 홈페이지)
His research is briefly summarized below.
Climate and Chemistry Modeling:
- Currently working with an aersol-chemistry module as part of United Kingdom Chemistry and Aerosol (UKCA) included in the HadGEM, a configuration of the UK Met Office Unified Model (UM).
- Developed a linking tool (coupled model) between the “Harvard GEOS-Chem” chemistry and transport model
and “NCAR CCSM-3” a climate model
Developed the UIUC 2.5-D chemical-radiative-transport model and the UIUC
Evaluated and inter-compared state-of-the-art global Chemistry and Transport
Models (CTMs), “NCAR MOZART families” and “NASA GEOS-Combo”, relative to observational
Assessing past and future environmental changes in ozone and PMs related to
climate changes (using a global Climate-Chemistry model and a regional WRF-Chem
on Atmospheric Chemical Species:
Investigate atmospheric lifetimes and impacts of replacement compounds on ozone
(pursuant to Article 6 of the Montreal Protocol) through the numerical
calculation of Ozone Depletion Potentials (ODPs)
Investigate direct and indirect effects of replacement compounds on ozone and
climate through the numerical calculations of Radiative Forcings and Global
Warming Potentials (GWPs)
Study the long-term variability of stratospheric tracers associated with wave
activities and residual circulation
Investigate the interaction of atmospheric dynamical processes with atmospheric
Perform extensive ozone and PM-2.5 data analysis
Environmental assessment modeling
Assess environmental impacts of new sources such as power plants and industrial
complexes using atmospheric dispersion models (AERMOD and CALPUFF)
Assess radionuclides (Krypton-85 and radio-xenon) transport to discreminate
clandestine source of plutonium seperation. Xenon isotopes will be assessed
September 2018 - Current, Vice Dean, College of Education, Chungbuk National University
September2016 – Current, Associate
September2012 – August 2016, Assistant
of Earth Science Education, Chungbuk National University
2010 – August 2012,
Researcher/Research Fellow at Environment Appraisal Division
Researcher at National Climate Change Center
Environment Institute (KEI)
2010 – September 2010,
Resident (Post-Doctoral position)
Environment Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
2008 - February 2010,
Institute of Basic Sciences, Seoul National University
2005 - March 2009,
Research Scholar (Post-Doc.)
Scientist (since August 2006)
of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2001 – November 2002,
of Atmospheric Sciences, Seoul National University
University Staff (Temporary government position)
University Staff (Temporary government position)
& 2000-2003, Research Assistant
30. Seo, J., Lim, Y. B., Youn, D., Kim, J. Y., and Jin, H. C., 2020: Synergistic enhancement of urban haze by nitrate uptake into transported hygroscopic particles in the Asian continental outflow, Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., PDF, HTML, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-2019-1171.
29. Kim, J. H., Youn, D., Kim, Y.H., Shin, W.J., 2019: A Study on Characteristics and Countermeasures of Fine Dust Discharge Sources in Cheongju, J. of the assoc. of Kor. geographers, 8(3), HTML, (Korean with English abstract).
28. Ju, J., Youn, D., 2019: Statistically Analyzed Effects of Coal-Fired Power Plants in West Coast on the Surface Air Pollutants over Seoul Metropolitan Area, J. Kor. Earth Sci. Soc. (한국지구과학회지),
40(1), 24-34, HTML (Korean with English abstract).
27. Seo, J., Park, D.-S. R., Kim, J. Y., Youn, D., Lim, Y. B., and Kim, Y., 2018: Effects of meteorology and emissions on urban air quality: a quantitative statistical approach to long-term records (1999–2016) in Seoul, South Korea, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 18, 16121–16137, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-18-16121-2018, HTML.
26. Youn, D., Y. H. Park, 2018: The Application of Mathematical Analysis to Examine the Beach Erosion along the Upper Texas Coast, Journal of Coastal Research 85 (sp1), 846-850, HTML.
25. Seo J., Kim, J. Y., Youn, D., Lee, J. Y., Kim, H., Lim, Y. B., Kim, Y., and Jin, H. C, 2017: On the multiday haze in the Asian continental outflow: the important role of synoptic conditions combined with regional and local sources, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 17 (15), 9311, PDF, HTML.
24. Edward A. Keller, Duane E. Devecchio (지은이), 윤성효, 윤순옥, 김영석, 김지수, 이정현, 정형섭, 김진규, 박덕근, 김교원, 길영우, 윤대옥, 이준이, 하진욱, 이동진 (옮긴이), 2017: Natural Hazards: Earth's Processes as Hazards, Disasters, and Catastrophes, 4th Edition (자연재행와 방재), 시그마프레스, 2017년 7월
23. Kim, J. W., D. Youn, 2017: The Generation of Westerly Waves by Sobaek Mountains, J. Kor. Earth Sci. Soc. (한국지구과학회지),
38(1), 24-34, HTML (Korean with English abstract).
22. Park, Y. H., D. Youn, 2017: Applicability of a new tidal power system with reduced environmental impact, KAIS(한국산학기술학회지), 18(12) (Korean with English abstract).
21. Jang, S., D. Youn, 2016: A teaching material using a laboratory ocean wave experiment to help students understand waves in the ocean, Sci. Edu. Res., 31(2).
20. J. Seo, D. Youn*,
J. Y. Kim, and H. Lee, 2014:
spatio-temporal analyses of surface ozone and related meteorological variables
in South Korea for 1999–2010, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics,Atmos. Chem. Phys., 14, 6395-6415, 2014, doi:10.5194/acp-14-6395-2014 PDF,
(*corresponding author)(SCI, IF=5.52, Rank=2.8%).
19. J. Seo, W. Choi, D. Youn,D.-S. R.Park, J. Y. Kim, 2013: Relationship between the stratospheric
quasi-biennial oscillation and the spring rainfall in the western North
Pacific, Geophysical Research Letters, online published html.
(IF=3.505, Rank=top 7.2% (12/167)
18. Lee, H., Olsen, S. C.,Wuebbles, D. J., and Youn, D., 2013: Impacts of aircraft emissions on the air
quality near the ground, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 13, 5505-5522,
(SCI, IF=5.52, Rank=2.8%)
17. Lee, H., D. Youn*,
D. J. Wuebbles, and K. O. Patten, 2012: Diagnostic tools for evaluating
quasi-horizontal transport in global-scale chemistry models, J. Geophys. Res.,
117, D19302, doi:10.1029/2012JD017644. (*corresponding author). PDF html
(IF=3.303, Rank=9.0% (15/167))
16. Moon, B.-K., S.-W. Yeh, R. J.Park, C.-K. Song, and D. Youn, 2013: Effects of the El Nino on Tropospheric
Ozone in a Simulation using Climate-Chemistry Model, J. Kor. Earth Sci. Soc. (한국지구과학회지),
34(7), 669-680 (Korean with English abstract).
15. Byung-Kwon Moon, Daeok Youn*,
Rokjin J. Park, Sang-Wook Yeh, et al., 2011: Meteorological Responses to a
Volcanic Eruption in an Offline Climate-Chemistry Model: A Pilot Study,
Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 47(4), 345-351, doi:
10.1007/s13143-011-0021-z (*corresponding author). PDF (IF=0.855,
14. Youn, D., Park, R.J., Jeong,
J.I., Moon, B.-K., Yeh, S.-W., Kim, Y.H., Woo, J.-H., Im, E.G., Jeong, J.-H.,
Lee, S.-J., and Song, C.-K., 2011: Impacts of aerosols on regional meteorology
due to Siberian forest fires in May 2003, Atmospheric Environment, 45(7),
1407-1412, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2010.12.028. PDF html (IF=3.226,
13. Wuebbles, D. J., Patten, K.
O., Wang, D., Youn, D., Martínez-Avilés, M., and Francisco, J. S, 2011:
Three-dimensional model evaluation of the Ozone Depletion Potentials for
n-propyl bromide, trichloroethylene and perchloroethylene, Atmospheric
Chemistry and Physics, 11, 2371-2380, doi: 10.5194/acp-11-2371-2011. PDF (IF=5.309,
12. Youn, D., Patten, K. O.,
Wuebbles, D. J., Lee, H., and So, C.-W., 2010: Potential impact of iodinated
replacement compounds CF3I and CH3I on atmospheric ozone: a three-dimensional
modeling study, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 10, 10129-10144, doi:10.5194/acp-10-10129-2010.
11. Park, R. J., D. Youn, S. H.
Yoo, D. S. Han, B. J. Kang, and E. G. Im, 2010: A general parallelization approach
to improve computation efficiency in a global chemical transport model
(GEOS-Chem), Geochemical Journal, 44(4), 323-329. (IF=0.802, Rank=74.0%
10. Park, R. J., M. J. Kim, J. I.
Jeong, D. Youn, and S. Kim, 2010: A contribution of brown carbon aerosol to the
aerosol light absorption and its radiative forcing in East Asia, Atmospheric
Environment, 44, 1414-1421, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2010.01.042.
(IF=3.226, Rank=12.4% (24/193))
9. Youn, D., K. Patten, J.-T.
Lin, and D. Wuebbles, 2009: Explicit Calculation of Indirect Global Warming
Potentials for Halons using Atmospheric Models, Atmospheric Chemistry and
Physics, 9, 8719-8733, doi:10.5194/acp-9-8719-2009. PDF(IF=5.309,
8. Park, R. J., J. I. Jeong, D.
Youn, 2009: A study of the Effects of Siberian Wildfires on Ozone
Concentrations over East Asia in Spring 2003, Atmosphere (대기), 19
(3), 227-296 (Korean with English abstract).
7. Lin, J.-T., D. Youn, X.-Z.
Liang, and D. J. Wuebbles, 2008: Global model simulation of summertime U.S.
ozone diurnal cycle and its sensitivity to PBL mixing, spatial resolution, and
emissions, Atmospheric Environment, 42(36), 8470-8483, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.08.012.
(IF=3.226, Rank=12.4% (24/193))
6. Jeong, J. I., R. J. Park, and
D. Youn, 2008: Effects of Siberian forest fires on air quality in East Asia
during May 2003 and its climate implication, Atmospheric Environment, 42(39),
8910-8922, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.08.037. PDF,
html (IF=3.226, Rank=12.4% (24/193))
5. Li, Y., K. O. Patten, D. Youn,
and D. J. Wuebbles, 2006: Potential impacts of CF3I on ozone as a replacement
for CF3Br in aircraft applications. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 6,
4559-4569, doi:10.5194/acp-6-4559-2006. PDF html(IF=5.309,
4. Youn, D., W. Choi, H. Lee, and
D. J. Wuebbles, 2006: Interhemispheric differences in changes of long-lived
tracers in the middle stratosphere over the last decade. Geophysical Research
Letters, 33, L03807, doi:10.1029/2005GL024274. PDF (IF=3.505,
Rank=top 7.2% (12/167)
3. Choi, W., and D. Youn, 2000:
Effects of Physical and Numerical Schemes on Model-Calculated Ozone
Distribution in the Stratosphere. Korean J. Atm. Sci., 3, 39-52 (Full paper in
2. Wuebbles, D. J., D. Youn, K.
O. Patten, D. Wang, and M. Martinez-Aviles, 2009: Metrics for Ozone and
Climate: Three-dimensional Modeling Studies of Ozone Depletion Potentials and
Indirect Global Warming Potentials. In Twenty Years of Ozone Decline, C.
Zerefos, G. Contopoulos and G. Skalkeas, editors, Springer Publishing,
Dordrecht, The Netherlands, doi: 10.1007/978-90-481-2469-5.
1. Youn, D., D. J. Wuebbles, and
M. B. Kalinowski, 2006: Global modeling of atmospheric Krypton-85
concentrations, INESAP Information Bulletin, No. 27, December 2006, pp. 13-16.